Oushak rugs are a type of handwoven Turkish rug that originated in the town of Oushak in western Anatolia, which is now modern-day Turkey. They are known for their large, open designs and soft, muted colors, and are highly prized by collectors and decorators for their beauty and quality.
Oushak rugs were originally made for use in Turkish palaces and were prized for their durability, as well as their beauty. They are typically made from high-quality wool or silk and are hand-knotted using the traditional Turkish knot, which gives them a distinctive texture and feel.
One of the defining features of Oushak rugs for sale is their soft, muted color palette. They are typically woven in shades of beige, brown, blue, and ivory, with subtle variations and tonal shifts that give them a unique character and depth.
In recent years, Oushak rugs have become increasingly popular in Western design circles, where they are prized for their timeless beauty and versatility. They can be used to add warmth and texture to any room, from traditional to modern, and can be paired with a wide range of furniture styles and colors.
Rugs By Design: Oushak
179 results. Displaying 1 to 84.
History of Oushak Rugs
The history of Oushak rugs can be traced back to the 15th century, when the town of Oushak in western Anatolia, which is now modern-day Turkey, became a major center of rug weaving. At the time, Oushak was a thriving commercial hub, with a diverse population of traders, craftsmen, and artisans from all over the region.
Oushak rugs were originally made for use in Turkish palaces and were highly prized for their durability, as well as their beauty. They were woven using the traditional Turkish knot, which gave them a distinctive texture and feel, and were typically made from high-quality wool or silk.
Over time, Oushak rugs became increasingly popular with collectors and designers in the West, who were drawn to their soft, muted colors and unique, open designs. They were particularly popular in Europe in the 19th century, where they were used to furnish grand homes and public buildings.
Today, Oushak rugs for sale are still highly prized by collectors and decorators around the world for their beauty and quality. They are considered to be among the finest examples of Turkish rug weaving, and continue to be made using traditional techniques and patterns handed down through generations of skilled artisans.
Features of Turkish Oushak Rugs
Oushak rugs are known for their unique combination of soft, muted colors and bold, open designs. Some of the main features of Oushak rugs include:
- Soft colors: Oushak rugs are often made using soft, muted colors like beige, taupe, and pale blue. These colors are achieved through the use of natural dyes made from plants and other organic materials, which give the rugs a subtle, sophisticated look.
- Large scale designs: Oushak rugs typically feature large, open designs with a central medallion surrounded by scrolling vines, floral motifs, or other intricate patterns. These designs are often inspired by traditional Turkish or Persian motifs, but have a distinctively open, airy feel.
- Thick pile: Oushak rugs are typically made with a thick, dense pile that feels soft and luxurious underfoot. The pile is created by tying knots around each individual warp thread, creating a durable and long-lasting rug.
- Unique texture: Because Oushak rugs are made using the traditional Turkish knot, they have a unique texture and feel. The knots are tied in such a way that they stand up slightly from the surface of the rug, creating a subtle texture that adds depth and interest to the design.
- Large size: Oushak rugs are often made in large sizes like 8x10, 9x12 or 10x14, which make them ideal for use in spacious rooms or grand settings. They can be used as statement pieces in living rooms, dining rooms, or other areas where they can be fully appreciated.
Where are Oushak Rugs made?
Oushak rugs are traditionally made in the town of Oushak in western Anatolia, which is now modern-day Turkey. However, today they are also made in other parts of Turkey and in other countries such as India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.
In Turkey, Oushak rugs are still made by skilled weavers using traditional techniques and patterns that have been passed down through generations. Many of the rugs are made in small, family-run workshops in and around Oushak, where weavers work on handlooms to create unique, one-of-a-kind pieces.
In other countries, Oushak-style rugs are often made using the same traditional techniques and patterns, but may be produced on a larger scale or using less expensive materials. Nonetheless, high-quality Oushak-style rugs can be found from many different sources, and can be a beautiful and timeless addition to any home.
Why you should buy an Oushak Rug?
There are many reasons why someone might want to consider buying an Oushak rug:
- Unique style: Oushak rugs have a distinctive style that sets them apart from other types of rugs. With their soft colors, large-scale designs, and unique texture, they can add a touch of sophistication and elegance to any space.
- Timeless beauty: Oushak rugs have been made for centuries using traditional techniques and patterns, and their timeless beauty means they will never go out of style. They can be passed down from generation to generation, becoming treasured family heirlooms.
- Quality craftsmanship: Oushak rugs are made by skilled weavers using the finest materials and techniques, resulting in a high-quality, durable product. They are designed to withstand years of use and can be enjoyed for decades to come.
- Versatility: Oushak rugs come in a variety of sizes and colors, making them versatile enough to be used in any room of the house. They can be used as statement pieces in living rooms, dining rooms, or entryways, or can be used to add a touch of elegance to bedrooms or home offices.
- Investment value: High-quality Oushak rugs can be valuable investments, appreciating in value over time. They are often sought after by collectors and can be sold for a significant profit in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is an Oushak rug?
An Oushak rug is a type of handmade rug that originated in the town of Oushak, located in western Turkey. These rugs are known for their unique designs and soft colors, and are often considered to be among the finest Turkish rugs. Oushak rugs are hand-knotted using high-quality wool or silk, and feature a thick pile that provides a luxurious feel underfoot. They are known for their large size and intricate designs, which often include floral or geometric patterns. Oushak rugs have been prized by collectors and designers for centuries and continue to be highly sought after in the modern market.
Q. Where to buy Oushak rugs?
Oushak rugs can be purchased from a variety of sources, including online retailers, specialty rug stores, and antique dealers. Qaleen offers a wide selection of Oushak rugs in a variety of sizes and colors. Specialty rug stores may also carry Oushak rugs, and it's a good idea to check with local dealers in your area to see if they have any available. Antique dealers may also have Oushak rugs that are in good condition and have a unique history. It's important to do your research and purchase from a reputable dealer to ensure that you are getting a high-quality Oushak rug.
Q. Why are Oushak rugs so expensive?
Oushak rugs are considered expensive due to several factors. First, Oushak is a small town in Turkey known for producing high-quality rugs with a long history and tradition of rug-making. The skilled artisans in Oushak use natural dyes and hand-spun wool to create intricate designs that can take several months to complete.
Second, Oushak rugs are often larger in size than other types of rugs, which requires more materials and time to produce, making them more costly. The larger size also makes them more valuable, as they are often used as statement pieces in a room.
Third, Oushak rugs are in high demand among collectors and interior designers, which drives up their price. The rarity and uniqueness of each rug also contribute to their high price point.
Overall, the combination of quality materials, skilled craftsmanship, and high demand make Oushak rugs expensive but also highly valued and cherished.
Q. How to clean an Oushak rug?
Cleaning an Oushak rug requires gentle and careful handling to preserve its unique features and prevent damage. Here are some steps to follow:
- Vacuum: Begin by vacuuming the rug thoroughly on both sides to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Spot cleaning: For small stains or spills, use a clean cloth to blot the affected area with a mixture of cold water and mild detergent. Avoid rubbing the stain as this can cause the colors to bleed and spread. Rinse the area with clean water and blot dry with a towel.
- Deep cleaning: For a deeper clean, it is best to seek the services of a professional rug cleaner who has experience with Oushak rugs. They will use a gentle cleaning solution and hand-wash the rug to ensure it is thoroughly cleaned while protecting its delicate fibers and dyes.
- Drying: After washing, the rug should be hung or laid flat to dry in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Avoid placing the rug on a wet or damp surface as this can cause mildew and mold to develop.
- Brushing: Once the rug is completely dry, use a soft-bristled brush to fluff up the pile and restore its texture and appearance.
It is important to note that harsh chemicals, hot water, and steam cleaning should be avoided when cleaning Oushak rugs as these can damage the fibers and cause the colors to fade.